Friday, November 2, 2007

Why I felt I had to start this blog

I've never really been a fan of blogs, but I think this is the best way to address the extraordinary press coverage of the New England Patriots head coach, Bill Belichick. In the interest of full disclosure, I'm a huge Patriots fan and have a tremendous amount of respect for Belichick's coaching prowess. I've been really disgusted with the media's coverage of the video tape rule violation and now the supposed issue of running up the score. I'm going to use this blog to counter the outrageous and unwarranted press that Belichick has been getting.

It's worth mentioning that this blog exists because Coach Belichick has made little, if any effort to defend himself and his actions. The media, which clearly hold disdain for Belichick and the way he operates, have seized on the tidal wave of resentment and used it to caricature the Patriots' coach as an evil cheater. Why won't Bill Belichick defend himself if he is innocent, or perhaps has a story to tell that would help his public image? The answer, of course, is simple, and it's the reason that I admire Belichick and found it necessary to defend him and his team: Bill Belichick cares only about the New England Patriots and winning games.

This blog will likely go for the rest of the regular season and - assuming the Patriots qualify - the playoffs. I endeavor to respond to any comments that I feel are unjust and untrue. I feel very strongly about the New England Patriots and can't tolerate the unwarranted criticisms of the team and its coach without having an avenue for rebuttal. I aim my rebuttals at each and every member of the press, no matter how distinguished.

No comments: